Prairie Blue


...............at my front door spinning...................just some simple thoughts & happenings of an ordinary woman.....

Sunday, January 19, 2014

shakin' the "crazies".....

as many of you know......over this past week, i have been knee deep in cleaning....rearranging....revamping the great room....................................................................................
 that means........everything.......including shaking the dust from a stack of 11 crazy quilts...........2 of which were mine......................but the rest is from my Mom's collection..................she loved "the crazys".....this is the stack...after the shake....and before the new home, somewhere in this room..............i cannot bear to part with them.....but on the other hand...can't figure out exactly where they will land......................
 these 2 crazys i bought at an auction, about this same time of year.....standing out in the cold...with two little ones...(i know what kind of mother am i?)..............remember, this is when we had absolutely NO money..........my treasures were $2 each along with the 2 blue & white quilts for $2.....i still remember which four they are.....................................
 this was one of Mom's favorites......................the intricate work is amazing..............................
 and this one.................finished in mostly velvets and lined completely on the back with velvet is the one of the best i have seen..........................................................amazing handwork!
so........in my opinion.......the best way to shake those winter crazy moments...................jump into a revamp of a room and shake out the dust.....................................!
...................................................... crazy...& blessed !

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love crazy quilts, those were the first quilts I collected, the dark ones......I was trying to see how you rearranged your room.....I am sure it is beautiful!

Lady Locust said...

I'm a lover of crazies also. No two are alike - maybe that's why. Not sure, but they sure do speak to me. Have fun:)

PAM said...

I like crazy quilts too! I have a couple that have names on them. One was my Grandma's (she was born in 1894), and she also had pictures of everyone on the quilt. I displayed them on a shelf in my living room with the quilt on the wall for a while. Last Saturday I went to an auction and bought one for $5. Great shape! I made Christmas stockings from one that was in bad shape. I think they are just right!