Prairie Blue


...............at my front door spinning...................just some simple thoughts & happenings of an ordinary woman.....

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

#44...

the year.....1944..........times were tough............but a bright light was shinning in Smithville, Indiana.................(so many times, i think of how i would have just loved seeing the very moment).............Kobe Bryant's scoring 42 pts. over the weekend, just made me realize how i needed to share a story of this young man.....#44.....my daddy
 as i said.......times were tough............................but this young man actually scored a total of 44 pts. for this tiny school...........................the year......1944......his #....44........when he went to the navy.......#44......coincidence.........i don't think so.........................................i have heard this story many times..........................even how my mamaw hitched a ride into the newspaper office to ask for the bulletin that was in the newspaper window announcing the big event...............................
and this young man was even offered the opportunity to play at Indiana University.......my daddy being way too shy and humble, watched as the coach went to an I. U. baseball game to meet with him....never letting him know he was there......daddy could not bring himself to go through with the meeting.....always makes me wonder what might have been......................but i know my daddy was okay with his decision........and loved his life..............his profession....................his family........................and i loved him ! 
......................i am blessed !

2 comments:

from me to thee......... said...

oh Denise, this is such a special story.......I think your dad was a very special man. Linda

Sherri Farley said...

Wonderful story......My dad was in the navy at the same time. He is no longer with us. I loved him too.